Thursday 4 February 2021

My Political Meme

Creating my own political meme in class was so much fun. At first, I didn't know what I wanted to do, because there were so many options. I was thinking about doing an actual cartoon, but my creative juices were not flowing in that department today. 

I get nervous when displaying my political voice so overtly that it makes me shut down. However, I think that the trick is to purely look at political situations through a journalistic viewpoint. This ensures that the work is honest. 

As a class we started looking at memes and I got super inspired. I wanted mine to be straight and to the point. Instead of making a meme about a historical event of the past, I decided to make one about what we are facing right now as a country. 

I used a meme generator website to make my meme. It is an amazing website for anyone wanting to make memes, but don't know how to make them from scratch. This website has multiple base images to choose from and plenty of examples to consult. 

 In class the last couple of weeks, we've been talking about free speech and the implications of big companies censoring citizens. The biggest culprits in this censorship have been Amazon, Facebook, and Twitter so I decided to put them all in my meme. 

My meme is pretty self explanatory and the overall message is that these big companies only allow the facade of free speech as long as it is to their advantage. I think it is pretty funny and a hard truth that everyone has to realize going forwards. Just because you only see one viewpoint on social media, that doesn't mean others don't exist. These billionaires have the power to silence so many people and they can get away with it.           








No comments:

Post a Comment

Upton Sinclair: The Pioneer of Muckraking

Muckraking is something that I personally have never heard of until this class. I knew it was a kind of a journalism, but I had completely ...